Home > Services Sunday, 19 August, 2018

Translation Service

The Department of Social Services (DSS) provides a free document translation service for Australian citizens and migrants settling permanently in Australia.

The service will translate the documents you need to settle, work and study into English.

Who can use the Translation Service?

Documents can only be accepted for free translations within a period of two years after the date of:

  • the client's initial arrival in Australia with a permanent visa
  • the granting of an onshore permanent visa

Note: You may be eligible for this service if you hold a temporary visa. Contact ELC AMEP reception to check your eligibility.

Which documents can be translated for free?

  • Birth Certificate, Baptism Certificate, Identity Certificate, Family Registers/Books (ONE ONLY from this group)
  • Certificate of change of name (issued before migration)
  • Marriage Certificate (or other acceptable alternative such as Household Registration documents)
  • Divorce Certificate
  • Driver's Licence
  • Police/Penal Certificate (if required for employment)
  • Medical Certificate/Report (issued before immigration and needed for medical treatment in Australia)
  • Vaccination Certificate
  • Primary School Certificates (ONLY when required for entry to primary or secondary school)
  • Secondary/Vocational Secondary Certificate (ONLY when it is the highest level of education)
  • Transcript of academic record (related to the Education Certificate) may be translated if the transcript is required as a prerequisite for recognition of the qualification or for further study to attain an initial qualification, first degree or for employment
  • Professional and Trade Certificates (must contain an assessment of performance or result in a qualification)
  • Employment Certificates
  • Letters of Appointment/Employment Contracts

How can you use the Translation Service?

Come to ELC AMEP Reception and ask for a translation form. If you are unable to understand the form we can help you fill in your details.

You will need to bring your passport and all the documents you would like translated. Once the form is complete we will send it, together with a copy of your documents, to the translation service. The translations will be mailed to your postal address within 20 working days.

Where is ELC AMEP Reception?

Adelaide City Campus
Level 1 East - Street level
120 Currie Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: (08) 8226 6555

When is ELC AMEP Reception open?

ELC AMEP Reception is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am until 5.00pm, except on Public Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.

"ELS teachers give good advice for us to reach our goals." Ramandeep Kaur